Science program applies for grant to fund School Woods event

Team team of Baxter (left), Brown (middle), and Dowell (right) is taking on the challenge to gain the grant.

Sandy Dubridge

Ethan Wilson, Staff Writer

Saint Louis High School students have taken on a huge project to help fundraise for the annual school woods trip. Every year, Mrs. Dubridge’s honors and advanced biology classes have taken on the role of leading the second-grade class on an adventure out in the woods. 

Logan Koutz said, “I believe that is a great opportunity the second graders always look forward to and past students look back on. This is an amazing field trip, but there is a lack of the correct equipment to make this an even better trip. I have personally worked the school woods and enjoyed it but would have found it a better experience with up-to-date tools and equipment.” 

After years without new equipment, Mrs. Dubridge decided to change that. She applied for a grant. According to United Way of Gratiot and Isabella counties, “PITCH-ER THIS! is a youth development competition for students in Gratiot and Isabella Counties. United Way will provide funding to the winning team(s) to help bring their idea to life. Event attendees and a panel of community leaders will vote for their favorite project.” They add that the events can range from anything, and it’s run by United Way of Gratiot and Isabella counties and CMU College medicine students. 

This is a grant worth $5,000 that Mrs. Dubridge has applied for. She has successfully been accepted to participate in the event.

Three students are taking on this task: Chloe’ Baxter, Jennifer Brown, and Kirah Dowell. These students are creating a presentation about the school woods and the new equipment they need to make the event more fun and successful. 

These students will be going to the medical wing of CMU’s campus Feb. 15, to present their reasoning on why they need this grant. Then Feb. 22, is when they go on stage and do their google slideshow. After these events are done, they will be judged whether or not they have obtained the grant. 

Chloe’ Baxter said, “I’m very happy to be working on this grant for Mrs. Dubridge because I feel that she really deserves this. She puts so much time and effort into the science department and feels very passionate about the program, so to be able to make everything even a little bit easier for her makes me proud.”