Varsity boys and girls drop games to Millington

Keegan Honig

Mikaila Borie handles the ball while surveying the floor for open teammates

Keegan Honig, Editor

St. Louis varsity girls’ basketball matched up against the Millington High School Cardinals at the Shark Tank Friday, Jan. 10. The Sharks fought hard but lost the game 27-20.

Delainee Zarcharko stated, “Millington’s game was probably the best game we’ve played so far. There’s always room for improvement, but we played a lot better than we did against Ithaca.”

The boys’ varsity team followed the girls in their own game against the Cardinals. The final score was 42-37 with Millington barely catching the victory. Senior Corban Allen led the team in scoring with nine points, while Patrick Hanley and Cade Pestrue both chipped in eight. Additionally, Sam Bebow led the team in rebounds with six and assists with four while scoring five points for the Sharks.

Pestrue said, “We needed to get to the free-throw line more and be able to actually make those free throws. That would help.”

Head Coach Doug Knauf shared, “We need to get better at doing the little things like rebounding and boxing out; if we did that, we would have won.”

It was a close game through four quarters with the Cardinals pushing forward in the final stretch to win. The Sharks competed again Tuesday, January 14, with JV and varsity girls away at St. Charles while the JV and varsity boys were home at the Shark Tank.