SLHS raises money to provide education to those in need

Trevin Robinson

Danielle Weller (left) and Kira Dowell enjoy their Shark bracelets from the 4North project.

Trevin Robinson, Staff Writer

Matt Gewirtz, the co-founder of The 4North Project, made an appearance at St. Louis High School on Thursday, October 17, 2019, to deliver a presentation to the student body about his current project, Education for Everyone.

According to the 4North Project’s homepage, Education for Everyone is meant to provide kids in developing countries with the ability to attend school. To accomplish this, Gewirtz and his foundation is selling bracelets. The bracelets are made in Haiti where the 4North Project is supplying over 200 jobs to people in need. The money raised is used to send kids to school with a school uniform, a backpack full of school supplies, and school lunches for a year.

The 4North Project also came to St. Louis High School last year to present the same project. St. Louis was the school that sold the most bracelets last year so the workers in Haiti are currently making clay bracelets with red and black clay beads to acknowledge the support of the sharks. The original cereal box bracelets are still for sale, but there is a limited amount of them left.

Joslynn Clark assisted Gewirtz with the presentation during the assembly. Clark stated that, “I am a large part of this project because when this project was introduced in Panamá, Matt really hit home with his stories.” Clark added that Gewirtz’s stories inspired a lot of the students who went on the Spanish Club trip to Panama to want to help in any way they could. Lastly, Clark said, “As an NHS chapter, we decided to sell bracelets for Matt, and it was the most successful project we have had at SLHS and bracelets can be bought at Mrs. Dubridge’s room in the high school.”