Most popular movies of 2019

Keegan Honig

Chloe’ Baxter enjoys watching all the new movies on Netflix.

Autumn Mann, Staff Writer

One of St. Louis students’ favorite pastimes is watching movies. Yet, what are some of the most popular films to watch? 

One of the most intriguing movies out right now is John Wick: Chapter Three- Parabellum. John Wick was released May 17, 2019. According to the website Rotten Tomatoes, after ten days of being released, John Wick: Chapter Three-Parabellum because the highest grossed $169.9 million in the United States and Canada plus $149.9 million in other territories. The whole total profit is $319.8 million dollars. Mikayla Haag stated, “I like the third John Wick movie because it had lots of action, and it kept me and my family hooked the entire movie.” 

One of the most popular comedies is Book Smart. Book Smart was released March 10, 2019. This movie made $12 million dollars just after four days. The film made $2.5 million on its first day, including $875,000 dollars on Thursday previews. 

The most popular romantic movie of 2019 is After. After was released April 2, 2019. On the website The Numbers, After grossed about $12.1 million dollars in the U.S. In Canada the movie made $55.1 million. World wide, the movie made $67.2 million dollars. On the opening weekend, the movie made $3-12 million between the United States and Canada. 

According to the website Marie Daire, Pet Sematary is the number one movie. Pet Sematary was released April 5, 2019. The movie grossed $54.7 million in the United States and Canada and $57.7 million in other countries. World wide Pet Sematary made a total of $112.4 million. In the United States and Canada, Pet Sematary was released alongside Shazam! and The Best of Enemies, and was projected to gross $20–30 million from 2,500 theaters in its opening weekend. It made $2.3 million from Thursday night previews. It then grossed $10 million on its first day, including previews. Brooklyn Elsea stated, “This movie is a real thriller and such a great movie.” Elsea believes that this movie is worth watch and amazing.