Maddie Greenup reaches volleyball milestone: 1000 career digs!

Maddie Greenup celebrates her great achievement.

Kaylyn Collins, Staff Writer

Madeline Greenup, a Senior at St. Louis High School, hit 1,000 career digs Monday, Sept. 17, 2019, in her home game against Clare. Digs are passes that follow the opponents’ attack.

This is Greenup’s fourth year as a member of the varsity volleyball team. 

According to Greenup, “I started volleyball when I was seven years old. My mom and sister inspired me to play because my mom was always coaching, and we were always in the gym with her.” Greenup added that her biggest motivation was her step-mom and her mom for giving her advice and being there for support. Her sister, Megan Greenup, also had a big impact on motivating her during her volleyball career. 

According to Sarah Bissell, her mother, and coach, “When I coached the JV team here at SLHS, Megan and Madeline had to come to practice with me.  Madeline was four years old. Then when she was in third grade she started as the varsity volleyball manager with former varsity Coach, Coach Stanglewicz.  Maddie has played for the following club teams: Valley Volleyball, MEVBA, and Five1Athletics.” Bissell added that Maddie has followed in her sister’s footsteps in volleyball and that Maddie loves having fellow seniors on her team. 

Bissell said, “As a mom, I am always proud of the accomplishments of my kids.  1000 digs is a huge milestone for any player in our program. Maddie has been fortunate enough to play on varsity for four years and able to work towards earning this goal.  I’ve always stressed the importance of being on a team to our kids. Growing up in such a small school district, I feel like it is necessary to be involved in something extracurricular.  I not only stress this to my kids but all the kids here at SLHS. Be apart of something that is bigger than yourself.”  

The overall record for digs in a career is held by Brishia Stroven with 1,794 digs.