SLHS science students travel to Carrie Knause

Amiya Garcia helps Carrie Knause students.

Lily Hindenlang, Staff Writer

A group of students from Mrs. Dubridge’s 2nd hour volunteered to travel to Carrie Knause for the morning to assist professor Dr. Wyman with a few science labs May 30. The following volunteers were Danielle Luft, Amiya Garcia, Faith Best, Macie Salladay, Lily Hindenlang, Nick Worthy, Jennifer Brown, and Brook Barrett.

Danielle Luft stated, “I enjoyed spending time with the kids the most because it was awesome to teach them something new and see their faces light up.” Spending time with the kids has wasa favorite for most. “I volunteered because I wanted to see what it was like being around kids and to see the kids learn. A children’s teacher is something that I would not do, even though I like working with children, I am not a good teacher,” Luft continued.

Garcia, stated, “The part that I enjoyed the most was teaching the kids about strawberry DNA because it was something that I learned in biology recently, and I and the kids thought it was pretty cool. However, the part I enjoyed the least was probably trying to entertain the kids about the DNA because there were some kids that quit during the process.”

Although the students were very distracted, it was a fun learning experience for the children and the volunteers.

Garcia continued, “I volunteered because it’s a fun experience to teach younger kids about science, and they think it’s so fascinating. I considered being a children’s teacher, but it’s something I won’t pursue because kids are too energetic, and it would take a lot to make them stay focused, hence the strawberry DNA.”