Baseball and Softball compete in District games

Shannon Zinser

Catcher Aynslee Koutz prepares to tag out an opponent running home.

Avante Taylor, Staff Writer

The St. Louis Varsity baseball and softball team competed and lost in their district games at Shepherd against the Bluejays, June 3. The baseball team lost 11-0, and the softball team lost 8-3.

The varsity guys struggled to even get on base only having four players get on the whole game.

Coach Luneack stated, “The strike zone is low today. Stop swinging at the balls at your face, and start taking a crack at the ones at your knees!” The varsity Sharks still couldn’t get anything going. The furthest a base runner made it was to second base.

Sophomore Blake Siefka stated, “It was a game that I knew we had to compete in if we wanted to win. We had to hit the ball; we just couldn’t do that.”

While the lady Sharks could get on base, they couldn’t put the runs up against the Bluejays. The whole game they were trailing, and they couldn’t get over the hump. Freshman Kaylyn Collins said, “The main struggle we had was hitting the ball; we just couldn’t get on top of it.”

Freshman Kiersten Francisco stated, “It was fun to be at districts and competing, but with the people we had on our team, we should have done better.”  

Coach Robin Hanline stated, “We played a tough team that ended up winning the district. We had our chance to win the game but made too many mistakes. Alexis Beeson pitched a great game; Aynslee Koutz and Skylar Rodriguez provided the hits.