Boys’ baseball take a win and a loss

Corinna Pestrue

Cade Pestrue warms up before the first pitch.

Avante Taylor, Staff Writer

The St. Louis varsity baseball team dropped two games against the Merrill Vandals in a doubleheader Monday. The first game, the JV team snuck by the Vandals 9-8, but in the second game, the varsity team lost in a bad way 15-5.

In the first game, the team focused on teamwork and each other and just barely grabbed a win. Joey Good, Freshman first baseman said, “It was a good game; we gave up a few runs late in the game and we got a little distracted.  But overall, it was a good performance.”

Cody Hartman, freshman left fielder, added, “As I watched them warm up, I knew it was going to be a tough game, but as the game went on we just out-played them and performed really well as a team.”

Sophomore Ean Bradley, who plays right field and catcher, said, “We played to our peak the first game, but the second game we started slacking and that’s when mistakes happen.”

Andrew (Pudge) Zimmerman is a freshman on the varsity team and he plays second base. He said, “What made the game really hard was that we were unfocused; and because we were unfocused we missed a lot of catches, which made them score 15 on us. The little things we should have done right, we did wrong.”

Senior captain Michael Heiden pitched the second game, and he said, “I felt good about my pitching, I was throwing hard; they were just hitting everything. On defense, we made a few little errors but overall I think it was a decent performance dealing with adversity.”

Logan Koutz added, “We just didn’t perform the second game. We were totally unfocused, and we didn’t play well together; all around we were just bad.”