Senior class takes a skip day!?

The class of 2019 poses for a photo at an ice rink.

Modestie Hitchcock, Staff Writer

Senior skip day is an annual event for St. Louis High School seniors where all of the senior class skips the same day and typically meet at an alternate location to spend time together as a class. This year, senior skip day was held Tuesday, March 7, where over 50 students spent the day together.

“I always thought that senior skip day was just where you skipped school and slept in, but I think that spending time together and bonding for just one last time was a really fun and good idea,” said Ryan Downs.

The day began downtown at the River Rock Bar and Grill where 47 students showed up for breakfast at 10 a.m. After dining and spending quality time together, the group grew even bigger at the ice skating rink, I.C.E. Arena, in Mt Pleasant.

According to Brooklyn Filipiak, “Ice skating was a great idea to bring everyone together and share many laughs as many people were awful at doing it. This is something that I will always remember doing with the class of 2019.”

With senior skip day being a surprise, many teachers are typically upset about this event. With over a fourth of the school being absent, this tends to mess up not only a whole day of teaching, but it begins to mess up the curriculum because teachers have to get through a set amount of curriculum in a set amount of time.

According to Ms. McKittrick, “I have mixed feelings about senior skip day. We have had many snow days this year so it does cause teachers issues in teaching all of the curriculum.  Then you add an additional skip day and it only puts us that much further behind. We want all of our students to be successful in the next step of their life. In the event they are missing important skills, it will only impede their success.   On the flip side, I was happy to see the seniors were all together enjoying the day at breakfast and the ice skating rink. It makes me feel good that our students want to hang out together and enjoy their last few months as sharks together.”