Will Glass break box office records?

WilFred Howey

Students fighting each other, in hopes of representing the movie Glass.

WilFred Howey, Staff Writer

M. Night Shyamalan is back! In 1999, Shyamalan surprised the world with The Sixth Sense. A film about Dr. Malcolm Crowe (played by Bruce Willis), a child psychologist, who takes a new patient in, a young boy named Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment), that apparently can see dead people. The Sixth Sense ended up winning 32 awards and was nominated for 54 others. Then Shyamalan teamed up with Willis again in 2000 with Unbreakable.

Unbreakable is about David Dunn (played by Bruce Willis), who is the sole survivor of a train crash that kills 131 passengers. Dunn soon meets Elijah Price (played by Samuel L. Jackson), a guy with Type I Osteogenesis Imperfecta, a disease that makes bones incredibly fragile. Price tries to convince Dunn that surviving that train crash with no injuries means that Dunn has powers like in a comic book. Soon Dunn starts to believe price, which starts the future trilogy. Unbreakable ended up winning two awards and was nominated for 13 others. Sixteen years later, Shyamalan produced Split. Split is about three teen girls w get kidnapped by Kevin Wendell Crumb (James McAvoy) a guy with 23 different personalities and one on the way called The Beast. As a surprising twist, David Dunn is shown at the end connecting the two movies together making Split a sequel to Unbreakable.

When the Glass trailer was released, fans of Shyamalan and fans of the film’s trilogy were exhilarated. Yet, they know what to expect from Glass. However, most guessed that it would be exactly what they were looking for in both a Shyamalan film and a great ending movie for the trilogy.

As expected from the film’s fans, the first half of the movie was great. It filled with Shyamalan’s expected slow paced, tension building ways. While the second half was faster in pace and tried to create twists and turns that really didn’t develop.

Some things the film did right, including the acting. Bruce Willis, playing David Dunn, still brings the magic to the screen as he did with The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable. Dunn wants to protect everyone, yet, can’t. Samuel L. Jackson, who plays Elijah Price, still brings the persona of a psychotic person who doesn’t believe he is psychotic. Price wants the world to know “they” (people with powers) exist. Willis and Jackson bring back the chemistry they had in Unbreakable and it is truly outstanding.

Additionally, James McAvoy also brought back his acting skills from playing Kevin Crumb, also known as the horde, in Split. The way McAvoy can switch characters/personalities is amazing. However, Sarah Paulson’s acting in the film was underwhelming. She overall could have done a lot better throughout the film.

Furthermore, the dialog in the film is above average. Shyamalan’s dialog has amazing wordplay and the way it flows is truly art on its own. Also, the dialog shows a lot of emotion which adds to both the character and the scenes.

Additionally, the emotion in the film was powerful. Shyamalan’s films always include a good amount of emotion, and with the amount of emotion in Unbreakable and Split, fans of the trilogy expected Glass to be no exception. They got what they wanted. However, in the second half of the film, the emotion falls short. The first half of the movie consisted of all the emotion the films fans were hoping for. Yet, the film’s fans also expected the ending of the film to have a bigger pay off than the first half of the film and what they got was the complete opposite of that.

Emily Allen stated, “Overall since I didn’t see the first two films, it was a little confusing. Yet, it was still okay until the end. I didn’t like the ending because they ended up killing the characters and it just felt lazy. I liked the acting and emotion the actors brought to the screen. I would recommend the film. However, viewers should watch the two first if they want to understand it better.”

Furthermore, the cinematography throughout the film was amazing. Shyamalan is known for his great shots in his films and this is definitely no exception. Shyamalan’s ability to picture the way he wants the camera to pan or move through transitions add a whole different layer to the film, making it stand out from others.

In addition, the action throughout the film is interesting, to say the least. When the audience is watching the action scenes, it draws them in. Since most of the action is shown through a long shot instead of a sequence shot, viewers can tell what is happening way better than in other films.

Shyamalan tried to add a big twist at the end of Glass. However, the idea and execution were both offensive to the audience. Big fans of the trilogy would agree that the film could have had a far better ending, and the one that Shyamalan produced was both lazy and insulting.

All in all, Glass is a pretty good film. As viewers would agree, the first half of the film is truly superior to the second half and the second half would have been equally as good or even better for the ending of a trilogy. Glass includes good acting and dialog including great cinematography and action, yet, falls short in the second half.