Three St. Louis students earn ACE scholarships

ACE recipients Aynslee Koutz (left) and Allison Taipalus (right) celebrate their accomplishment.

Lily Hindenlang, Staff Writer

ACE recipient Megan Greenup is excited about her path to Alma College.

Three senior girls got the surprise of their dreams as they found out they got a full-paid scholarship tuition to attend Alma College on Thursday Feb. 14. The scholarship is the Alma Community Engagement, other wise known as the ACE scholarship. The following recipients include: Allison Taipalus, Megan Greenup, and Aynslee Koutz.

Megan Greenup recalled how she found out, “I was at work when the office staff of St. Louis and Alma admissions walked in the door to give me the news that I had won. No, I was definitely not expecting this scholarship. I knew I was a finalist, but I didn’t want to get my hopes up. I was very emotional and excited because this scholarship definitely changed my life. I plan to go to Alma to go into the business field, but at this time I am not sure exactly what I want to go into. I was not interested in Alma until I heard more about the school and the volleyball program. I have already committed to playing volleyball at Alma College.”

Allison Taipalus added her story as well, “I was surprised with the great accomplishment. I was told that I need to be at the school at noon for a meeting with Mrs. Cahoon. As I was told that my dual classes were having issues. I wanted to change my meeting time to one, since that was when I had to be at the school. Then I received a text from Mrs. Bissel saying that I had to be at school by noon for a mandatory headcount for the state. So, I showed up to school wearing sweatpants and a Michigan State sweatshirt thinking that I would just go back home after 15 minutes. While waiting for Mrs. Cahoon, Hemker asked Aynslee and I to help him carry shirts to Kuhn’s room and then to go into the locker room to try and help him find out who “vandalized” the girls locker room. So, Aynslee and I walked into the gym where our families and the Alma College faculty was waiting with balloons and cakes to announce our scholarships. It was such an amazing surprise! I felt overwhelmed with happiness and excitement when I found out that I received the scholarship. I could not be more thankful as all I could do was smile through the whole experience. I plan on attending Alma where I will study to become a nurse anesthetist as well as play basketball for the Scotts. I was always interested in going to this college as I have been set on becoming a nurse for years now, and I know that Alma has such a great nursing program with wonderful professors. Competing in sports is something that I will continue doing as my love for basketball with continue at Alma College.”

Last but not least, Koutz told her story about finding out about the surprise and what it was like for her. “Finding out about the scholarship was a complete surprise. I didn’t know if I was going to get it or not. I did not expect the scholarship. All I knew was that I was a finalists for the scholarship, and that they would let me know sometime this week. When I walked into the surprise, I was in complete awe. I my stomach dropped and I began to cry. It was probably one of the best days of my life. I felt so proud of myself, and incredibly grateful for having and continuing to have the opportunity to give back to such an amazing community. I knew Alma was a great college, but did not know too much about it. Last year I found out that Alma is offering a Neuroscience program for the first time this year. I have always had an interest in this field and only a select few colleges offer it. That is when I decided that I would want to go to Alma for sure. Yes, I am planning to play softball at Alma. I am currently working on a date to sign my letter of intent.”