SLHS boys basketball faces off against Breckenridge

Modestie Hitchcock

Cade Pestrue passes the ball to a team member.

Modestie Hitchcock, Staff Writer

The JV and Varsity boys basketball teams both fell to their rivals Breckenridge, Wednesday, Nov. 28.

“Early in the season you hope to learn how to overcome obstacles and adversity. We will continue to work on that. But as you know, winter sports are more of a marathon than a sprint,” said Coach Luneack.

The Varsity Basketball team fell to Breckenridge 50-41, in a very tight game. The Sharks took a big lead in the beginning of the game and at the half were up by eight points. The game was fast paced and was close until the very last second. According to Cameron Mizer, “We were playing a good game and had a good lead at the end of the first quarter and half. We came out flat at the end of the second quarter and allowed them to come back. They ended up taking the lead and were the ones who were fighting to catch back up. We were the better team, but we didn’t come to play in the second half, and it ended up biting us in the butt.”

Sophomore, Trae Garcia led the team in points with 11 points. Garcia played a very strong offensive game and continued to attack the entire time. A huge deciding factor on the game was free throws, where the Sharks only made four out of the 25 they were given. “For our first game, we didn’t do that bad. We just had a little first-game jitters. We really struggled at the free throw line, and that is what really changed the game in the long run. We strive to better our game and continue to put on a show,” said Garcia.

The JV boys were defeated by the Huskies 53-28. Ethan Wilson led the team with 16 points. Both teams will host Merrill on Monday for their home opener; JV begins at 6, and Varsity follows.

“It was a tough game because it was the first game ever for most of the players,” said Ben Dousuah.