Shark Scene

• December 12Wrestlers take 2nd at Swan Valley; record now 6-1

• November 5Girls' XC 10th at state; Libby Munderloh and Mikenna Borie earn all-state honors!

Bohemian Rhapsody: best song of 1975, best movie of 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

A student listens to Queen's

A student listens to Queen's "A Night at the Opera" on a vintage-style record player.

Diamond Neph

Diamond Neph

Diamond Neph

Diamond Neph, Editor

The film Bohemian Rhapsody was released to the world Nov. 2, 2018. It is billed as a biographical film about the band Queen, with a special emphasis on the band’s lead singer, Freddie Mercury. The film outlines the bands history, beginning when Mercury joins them in 1970, and ending with them playing a concert to a sold out crowd. The film is a masterpiece of storytelling.

When I was going into this film, I had high hopes and expectations. Queen is one of my all-time favorite bands. The film was going to have to give them a very good tribute in order to make me happy. By the end of it, it was incredibly clear that they went above and beyond. This movie moved me more than any other has in an incredibly long time. From the masterwork of the performances, to the expertise of the sound design, to the faithfulness of real life, it had it all.

The performances in the film were stellar. The main star, Rami Malek, absolutely knocks it out of the park with his performance of Freddie Mercury. He had a real dedication and devotion to the part. According to an article titled, Freddie Mercury’s spontaneity challenged ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ star, “Malek worked with a movement coach to convey Mercury’s strutting stage presence.” This goes to prove how far he went to provide the best performance he possibly could. It certainly paid dividends. I have had several peers who have seen the movie comment that they could hardly tell the difference between Malek and Mercury when depicted onstage.

Additionally, the sound design in Bohemian Rhapsody was absolutely breathtaking. Throughout the film, several scenes are scored with variations of actual queen songs. Scenes in the movie like the band writing We Will Rock You, for example, have an alternate version of the song playing in the background. This creates a feeling of anticipation and anxiety in the audience as we await the moment when the band finally lands the song and performs it in triumphant fashion. The film is jam-packed with moments like this.

While watching the movie, I was affected by the sound. I was entirely invested in the moment, and I firmly believe a major factor of that was the sound design.

Furthermore, the film was incredibly faithful to the band’s actual experience throughout its life. It spares no details in the name of making the film more pleasant. For example, Freddie Mercury in real life, had quite a controversial lifestyle, with him having trouble finding somebody to love. This is not shied away from in the name of being polite to the audience. A great amount of care was put into being accurate to life. As someone who has a deep respect and admiration for the band, this really adds a lot to the experience for me. I felt like I was watching Mercury’s real life unfold before my eyes. It was able to take such an immortal band, and such a mystical figure as Mercury, and humanize them. By the end of the film, the audience completely relates with the band and Mercury, because it played out very much like real life. Nothing is more relatable than that.

To be completely fair, for a moment, I want to break free from my biases. Obviously, I am passionate about Queen. So, it would make sense that I would have an inflated sense of how great this film was. However, I would have to further argue that most of the points I made earlier stand on their own, regardless of one’s familiarity with the band. This film was a masterpiece of storytelling and craftsmanship. If this film was made about a random other band, but had the same amount of love and dedication put into it, I would be speaking the same words of praise.

This film breaks new ground. It was fantastic on so many levels. When I go to watch a film, I want dedication, care, good storytelling, a good script, good performances, and good directing. I do not often compromise, I want it all. Bohemian Rhapsody masters all of these qualities expertly. This was quite possibly the best film made in 2018 in my opinion. I expect it to rock the academy awards. Sorry, all other films this year, Bohemian Rhapsody will rock you!

10 Comments

10 Responses to “Bohemian Rhapsody: best song of 1975, best movie of 2018”

1. Mackenzie Seevers on December 3rd, 2018 10:21 am

Diamond Neph,

First off as somebody who already wants to see this it intrigued me more. Having you tell how realistic it is was amazing. Telling people that it really had the same kind of meaning and feelings that it would if it was Queen. Finally, I just think you did a spectacular job.

2. Rafael Orta-Vazquez on December 3rd, 2018 10:25 am

I really liked this article . The author really explained how well the movie was. I my self haven’t seen it but would like to.

3. Jasmine Pontius on December 3rd, 2018 11:14 am

I think that your article is really cool, like the picture that you choose.

4. Aidan Fisher on December 3rd, 2018 11:16 am

I enjoyed your article. It was entertaining to read. I just started to like his music because I never gave it a shot before because i thought it would be horrible but its actually good.

5. Andrew Davis on December 3rd, 2018 1:28 pm

I wasn’t going to see it but due to your article I might reconsider

6. Brooklyn Shrader on December 3rd, 2018 1:37 pm

I really love the title! It really helps to bring in an audience. Although, the title picture didn’t catch my eye as well. Maybe it should have been a picture of Queen themselves? I guess it might be overplayed, so I do like that you chose to be different. Well done. The review itself is very well done. I went to watch this movie with my friends, and even I liked it. Someone who had barely heard of Queen or Freddie Mercury before-hand. I agree with many of the points you made. I especially love the amazing play of words at the end. “Sorry all other films this year, Bohemian Rhapsody will rock you!” It is very clever! I appreciate great writing such as yours!

7. Ean Bradley on December 3rd, 2018 1:37 pm

This was a very interesting article. The article has really persuaded me into watching the movie. I really enjoy reading Diamond’s articles, I feel like he puts a lot of time and effort into them as he should. Keep up the good work.

8. Zach Starry on December 3rd, 2018 2:26 pm

I really enjoyed this article and it makes me want to go and see the movie.

9. Logan Abell on December 5th, 2018 9:08 am

Hi Diamond, I hate to be nit-picky, but according to your title of the article you say that Bohemian Rhapsody was the best song of 1977 but was released in 1975 on their debut album, “A Night At The Opera”. Did you mean that it was the best song chart-wise in 1977, or was it just a mistake in the title because you thought the song was released in 1977?

10. Diamond Neph on December 6th, 2018 8:11 am

Hello, thank you very much for catching my mistake. I had made an error in my research. I had thought it was released in 1977, after a quick search, but actually I had found the release date for We Are The Champions. The error will be corrected.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Bohemian Rhapsody: best song of 1975, best movie of 2018

Opinion

The legacy lives on: Creed II

Opinion

When do you become an adult?

Opinion

Halloween 2018 movie review

Opinion

The House with a Clock in its Walls, is it worth seeing?

Opinion

Psychotic justice at it’s finest

Opinion

Technology: a new zone of isolation?

Opinion

How old is too old to go trick-or-treating?

Opinion

Should students be able to grade their teachers?

Opinion

Eminem responds to MGK

Opinion

Is coffee really healthy?

The Student News Site of St. Louis High School