Woodshop: a club that builds more than just bird houses

Mr. Maxwell, the woodshop instructor, makes fine-tuned adjustments on a wooden toy.

WilFred Howey, Staff Writer

St. Louis High School offers many clubs, sports, and extracurricular classes, one of which is a woodshop ran by coach Maxwell. Woodshop allows students to talk with one another, make relationships, not worry about the outside world, and create something that they can be proud of. Woodshop is for all students in the high school who want to join.

This year in woodshop, students are making trains to handout during St. Louis’ Christmas Parade. The students are very proud to be working on something that is both fulfilling and will give others happiness. Dylan Crandall said, “Woodshop is great. It gives us students some insight into the future which will help a lot. I think the best part of working with the other students and Mr. Maxwell in the woodshop is that we get to build things that give us and other people happiness, like the trains we are building now for the Christmas Parade. It will give me a lot of happiness and pleasure knowing that it will give other kids happiness.”

“Woodshop isn’t really about building things. It is about creating relationships with the ones around you that you can keep through the years and learning some life lessons along the way,” said Maxwell. So far, there are only two groups, both consisting of five to eight students. Maxwell is hoping to expand the woodshop to more students in the following years to come. Maxwell also said that he wants students to learn how to work hard, work together, and build relationships that they can keep through life more than he wants students to just build objects.

Overall, woodshop is open for all students in the years to come and is a great experience for all. Students should join woodshop for at least one year before they leave high school. Students really enjoy the experiences they receive and all the life lessons they learn from Maxwell while building and creating wooden art. In the words of Maxwell, “Hey, have a great rest of your day. I hope to see you next Monday.”