Wrestling weigh-in reactions!

Modestie Hitchcock

SLHS student is dismayed at the result of their weigh in.

Modestie Hitchcock, Staff Writer

Every winter, most athletes are entering the season fat and happy. However, the wrestlers go into the season hungry and exhausted. This year, the wrestling team had their alpha-weigh in Nov. 21. The alpha is the weigh at the beginning of the year where the wrestlers try to get down to their lowest weight possible. During the weigh-in, a state certified trainer comes into the school and checks the athletes hydration and body fat percentage. The wrestler must first take a urine sample for their hydration to be tested. After that, each wrestler is put through a skin-fold test where their stomach, tricep, and the scapula is pinched by a caliper. This tool shows the amount of body fat available.

This season, the wrestling team luckily got to have their alpha weigh-in before Thanksgiving, so that they are able to replenish and enjoy the holiday. “As soon as Coach Kuhn told us that the alpha weigh-in was before Thanksgiving, it put a smile on my face. I am happy that I don’t have to sit and watch my family eat the delicious feast and be miserable for the holiday weekend,” said senior Eli Abbott.

Additionally, the team has over 15 weigh-ins throughout the year, so most wrestlers develop a favorite post-weigh-in meal or a craving they have while managing their weight.

According to Alexander Newton, “A craving that I always seem to have during wrestling season is a bacon cheeseburger. After wrestling season that is always one of the first meals I choose.”

Gavin Giles also said, “My favorite post weigh-in meal is a bottle of mixed fruit Pedialyte and a whole-grain bagel with peanut butter spread throughout the bagel with bananas on top.”