Shark Scene

• December 12Wrestlers take 2nd at Swan Valley; record now 6-1

• November 5Girls' XC 10th at state; Libby Munderloh and Mikenna Borie earn all-state honors!

Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Members of the 2018 Shark wrestling team celebrate during the district finals against Montabella.

Taylor Girard

Taylor Girard

Taylor Girard

Modestie Hitchcock, Staff Writer

Fall sports have finally come to an end, which means St. Louis High School is ready to begin and dominate the winter sports season. To start off, both JV and varsity boys basketball started practices Nov. 5. This season there has been a change of coaches for both teams. The JV boys will be coached by former athlete and student of SLHS, Andrew Bebow. Last year, the team went 7-12 and is looking for huge improvements for the upcoming year. The varsity boys basketball team is being coached by former JV basketball coach and current varsity baseball Coach, Jason Luneack. The Varsity Boys went 4-17  last season. Even though they lost four valuable seniors, the boys are looking for a bright future. “I’m really looking forward to my senior season, and the team and I are hoping for the stands to be full and the crowd to cheer us on,” said senior Cameron Mizer. On Nov. 27, the boys will be competing against Breckenridge in Breckenridge for their first game. The JV team will start at 6 p.m. and the varsity team will begin competition at 7:30.

Additionally, girls JV and varsity basketball teams are kicking off their seasons, Monday, Nov. 12. The Varsity Girls are coached by BJ Tomanek with the help of new assistant coach, Kristen Long. The varsity team lost four seniors, but this will not stop this athletic team. Last year, they went 12-9 and this senior-loaded team is ready to start a successful run. “I’m really excited to start up my favorite sport and get to play with a great group of girls! I can’t wait to get my senior season started,” said senior captain Allison Taipalus.

The JV girls basketball team is coached by Nicole Koczenasz and ended the season 10-9 last year. The girls are preparing for a great season with many returners and many valuable freshmen as well. Both girls’ teams will be kicking off their season Dec. 4, in the Shark Tank against Breckenridge; JV begins at 6 p.m. and varsity immediately follows at 7:30.

The pompon team will be preparing to compete in the regional and state competitions this season unlike last year. In the 2016-2017, the pompon team made history and became the fifth ever state championship pompon team from St. Louis. However, in the 2017-2018 season, the team did not compete in the regional competition because of low numbers. This year, the girls are being coached by Aimee Taylor and are planning to take back their state title.

The wrestling team started practice Monday, Nov. 12, and is looking for a successful season. Last season, the team had four boys qualify for the state finals and Coach Kuhn had his second ever State Champion of his career. Additionally, the team brought home a district title for the third consecutive year and brought home the TVC championship for the sixth year in a row. They lost four seniors, but have added many people to their roster this year. The team has their alpha weigh-in, Wednesday, Nov. 21, and their first quad is in Lakeview Dec. 5,  where they will compete against Belding and Lakeview.

Last winter, the boys bowling team went 2-12 and the girls team went 7-7. Coach Bob Milks will be coaching the girls again this year and is hoping for an amazing season. Senior Jazmin Milks placed 16th individually at the state finals and is even hungrier for a higher placement this year. The boys bowling team will be coached by Heather Mills. Even though they didn’t have the greatest season last year, the team was full of new bowlers and had new coaching staff. This year however, the boys are in place for a great season ahead of them. The first bowling match of the season takes place at Stardust Lanes in Saginaw on Dec. 1 against Shepherd High School.

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!”

1. Carter Murphy on November 21st, 2018 9:26 am

This was a great article and I would love to see all the winter sports succeed this season. I play winter sports myself and I’m really happy to see how we do. I also hope all the other sports do good as well.

2. Demetrius Alspaugh on November 21st, 2018 12:15 pm

Excellent article! However, perhaps mention names of people in the sport. Preferably all of them, however, I could see that as being a very long article. Perhaps put Freshman or Juniors in and a word from the coaches.

3. Aaron Bowerman on November 21st, 2018 12:17 pm

Great job and keep up the good work.

4. Kolin Lyon on December 3rd, 2018 2:27 pm

Great job on this article and I hope you write over every game and meet that goes on.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

Shark wrestlers grapple to 6-1 start

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

SLHS varsity basketball plays Merrill

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

SLHS boys basketball faces off against Breckenridge

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

Wrestling weigh-in reactions!

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

St. Louis volleyball ends terrific season as district runners-up

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

St. Louis cross country season ends with a bang

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

Girls’ Cross Country crushes regional competition to qualify for state

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

Volleyball defeats Pinconning to become TVC West Champions

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

SLHS golf goes to state!

• Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!

Sports

SLHS girls golf goes to regionals.

The Student News Site of St. Louis High School
Winter sports 2018-19 kickoff!