Shark Scene

• November 5Girls' XC 10th at state; Libby Munderloh and Mikenna Borie earn all-state honors!

Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

Reece+Giles+and+Zach+Starry+do+squats+during+the+workout.
Reece Giles and Zach Starry do squats during the workout.

Reece Giles and Zach Starry do squats during the workout.

Keegan Honig

Keegan Honig

Reece Giles and Zach Starry do squats during the workout.

Keegan Honig, Editor

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

Petty Officer Brian Boulis from the United States Navy came to St. Louis High School to spend the day in Physical Education with students Thursday, Nov. 1.

Boulis came to talk to students about the Navy and to have them compete in a competition. He started off the class by having the students run around the gym for two minutes to get their muscles warmed up. Then he had them compete in a workout–the students had to run across the gym and do certain exercises, such as push-ups, squats, and crunches. The students were in groups of four with only one racing at a time. Once a student finished, he/she had to stay in a plank until all other students were done.

Boulis stated, “My goal was to promote Navy awareness.” Boulis then had the students cool-down with two laps around the gym, and he then led them in stretching. Afterward, all the students filled out a form with their information so Officer Boulis could contact them with information about the Navy while he talked to them about college opportunities.

St. Louis Physical Education teacher Ms. Long shared, “We really appreciate Officer Boulis coming in to give students experience of what a Navy workout is like and to explain the different scholarships students can apply for in the future for college.”

The winning team in each gym hour received Navy lanyards, but the main purpose of the event was for students to experience a Navy-style workout and to be more informed. Ethan Wilson said, “I think it was a good experience having people come in from the community to help inform students about the different opportunities that are given to us.”

29 Comments

29 Responses to “Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class”

1. xander on November 8th, 2018 9:58 am

in our hour my team dusted everyone and we won every event but mine and other teams got lanyards in our hour the winning team wasn’t the only one who got lanyards people had to just go up and ask for one and you’d get one.

2. Jorden Cedotal on November 8th, 2018 10:05 am

Loved the article and it was funny a little bit, not the article the workout we saw the person taking the pictures I would like to see the pictures.

3. Haylee on November 8th, 2018 10:05 am

this was really fun and cool to see how fast some of us could get the workout done.

4. Nate March on November 8th, 2018 10:09 am

That was one cool artical

5. Mackenzie Seevers on November 8th, 2018 10:10 am

keegan,

First off I enjoy how you write about this out of anything. As well as telling how they had to hold a plank until everyone was finished. It’s important to help people acknowledge what they go through in the Navy. One thing I’d recommend is just to get more input from students, other than that, I think it was well put.

6. Rafael Orta-Vazquez on November 8th, 2018 10:14 am

I thought it was a good article. It could have used better detail of what the students did. Doing the workout and hearing all the opportunities the military has to offer was a really good touch of that day.

7. Shantelle Spencer on November 8th, 2018 10:14 am

This was an amazing opportunity to experience the workouts that people in the Navy do daily. It was a bit challenging but our team won so yay.

8. Carter Murphy on November 8th, 2018 10:15 am

This was a really good article because it tells me how things have been going in different class. I also think this was good to here how other people’s opinions compared to mine about the topic.

9. Conner Daniels on November 8th, 2018 10:18 am

I though the artical was OK. but you could have mentioned how how gave us a paper to fill out about future jobs.

10. Austin on November 8th, 2018 10:18 am

I thought that this workout was very interesting. I allowed us as students to challenge our self to push and push. I really think this will help us in the near future.

11. Hallie Toner on November 8th, 2018 10:19 am

Dear Keegan Honig,
    We all thought it was great that Mr Boulis came to instruct us through a Navy workout. Although, most students higher up and student’s that were not in class. Still have awareness of the Navy because no one can stop talking about the workout.

12. Reece Giles on November 8th, 2018 12:10 pm

This article was amazing

13. Seth Billings on November 8th, 2018 12:12 pm

That workout was the most I’v done in 14 years!

14. Robert on November 8th, 2018 12:13 pm

Keegan liked the quote said by Mr.boulis.

I would have gotten a quote from one of the students.

Overall great job with the article

15. Ella Mader on November 8th, 2018 12:13 pm

I participated in this event, well I kinda had to, but I was very sore the next day and could barely squat down to grab my books from my locker. I thought it was a pretty great experience, though. It makes me miss my workout that I used to do. Great article, by the way.

16. Kasey Jessup on November 8th, 2018 12:17 pm

I think that the writer of this article,Keegan Honig , did a very nice job. He put a lot of good information in this.But I also think that he should have interviewed people to see what their opinions were on the topic.

17. Regan Clarke on November 8th, 2018 12:18 pm

I think that this article is really great. I personally thought that it was a great idea to have a Navy Seal officer to come and talk to the students and give them a workout that he does.

18. Joey Good on November 8th, 2018 12:24 pm

I like how you put the workout that we did in this article. You got the main points why he was here and doing the workout. I like that it opened my eyes up to the scholarship and stuff.

19. Tristin Baker on November 8th, 2018 12:24 pm

Good job on this article but you could’ve gave a little more detail on why Officer Brian Boulis came and spent a day to teach us a workout. Otherwise really good job on everything.

20. Abby Francisco on November 8th, 2018 12:25 pm

Good article. That day was fun.

21. Kayla Vine on November 8th, 2018 12:25 pm

This workout was actually really fun and exciting. As one of my teammates was running, the other teammates and I were cheering them on. We were so tired at the end that we just laid down and stared at the ceiling.

22. Dawson Brundage on November 8th, 2018 2:35 pm

That workout was pretty neat.

23. Kaylyn Collins on November 8th, 2018 2:38 pm

The whole workout was exhausting but yet very educational.

24. Aaron Bowerman on November 8th, 2018 2:40 pm

That was a cool workout. Good job to the photographer.

25. Ellie Gager on November 8th, 2018 2:41 pm

I thought it was a great article. Keep up the good work!

26. Allison on November 8th, 2018 2:41 pm

This is a cool article. Keep up the great work!

27. Cole Acker on November 8th, 2018 2:42 pm

That was a great article and I liked how many quotes you had. Keep up the good work.

28. Kiersten Francisco on November 8th, 2018 2:51 pm

I like that the article included a comment from Officer Boulis, Ms. Long, and a student. I think that maybe more students could’ve been asked for comments about the workout.

29. Hunter Salladay on November 8th, 2018 2:58 pm

Hey Keegan! Your article was spot on and really well done. I like how you got an interview with more than one person, and on top of that, interviewed people other than students. I struggle to find something I dislike about the article, perhaps you could have interviewed a student who won the relay(not sure if Ethan was one). Like I said, the article was fantastic! Keep up the awesome work!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Navigate Left
  • Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

News

SLHS Students react to recent legalization of recreational marijuana.

• Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

News

Voting and St. Louis high school students

• Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

News

Diamond Neph wins Best Script in MACTV competition

• Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

News

Apple pie fundraiser begins!!

• Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

News

Language Arts Club second competition!!

• Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

News

Halloween costumes for 2018!

• Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

News

SLHS’ most successful blood drive ever!!

• Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class

News

SLHS sharks check out College 101!

• Navy Officer visits St. Louis P.E. class