Apple pie fundraiser begins!!

Courtesy photo

Aynslee Koutz and Allyssa Roberson sample apple slices before creating the pies.

Modestie Hitchcock, Staff Writer

The annual Sports Booster Apple Pie Day is Saturday, Nov. 10, from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at TSN Middle School.

According to Mr. Hemker, “Sports Boosters uses the profits to support our athletic programs. They assist in purchasing uniforms, equipment for programs, and pay for championship patches for varsity jackets. Samples include new high school and middle school wrestling mats, new volleyball poles and nets, new basketballs, rims, and backboards, a new high jump pit and cover, new hurdles, rain gear for boys and girls golf teams, golf bags, pitching machines for baseball and softball, football helmets, poms equipment, and over $15,000 in weight room equipment.
The St. Louis Sharks Sports Boosters has been running this fundraiser for almost 30 years and are planning for a very successful day. This year pies cost $9 each for regular,  crumb-crust, aor sugar-free. On average, $13,000 annually is raised and this money all goes towards St. Louis Athletics. Because of this, the St. Louis Sports Boosters asks each athletic program in both the middle school and high school to do their part and help make the pies throughout the day.

The following is the work schedule for the athletic teams:

8:00 am – 10:00 am
JV and Varsity Football
TSN Cross Country and Track
Poms
9:30 am – 11:30 am
HS Cross Country and Track
Wrestling
TSN Wrestling
HS and TSN Cheer
11:00 am – 1:00 pm
JV and Varsity Baseball and Softball
Boys Golf
Girls Golf
TSN Boys Basketball
12:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Boys and Girls Bowling
JV and Varsity Girls Basketball
TSN Girls Basketball
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
JV and Varsity Boys Basketball
JV and Varsity Volleyball
TSN Volleyball
* We also welcome all of the adult help we can get!

The process and stations of making these pies include rolling dough, filling dough with apples, sprinkling spices throughout the pies, making crumb, and packaging the pies.

“My favorite part about apple pies is seeing the community come together. It is so nice to see how many people care about our athletic programs and are willing to spend countless hours to raise money for it! The amount of work people put in shows how close of a community we are! And we make some pretty killer pies,” says Aynslee Koutz.

This year, the boosters took pre-orders only. In the past years, they made enough for all the pre-orders and had several hundred leftover. These leftover pies had to be stored in a rented or borrowed freezer space and then had to be sold at various locations for several weeks around St.Louis and Alma. This process became too costly and time consuming to do and it was very difficult to get volunteers to spend time on the weekends sitting out in the cold trying to sell the pies.