SLHS golf goes to state!

Carrie Beeson

The St. Louis golf team poses for a photo.

Modestie Hitchcock, Staff Writer

The varsity girls’ golf team ended the season by placing eighth in the Division Four MHSAA State Finals Oct. 19-20, at The Meadows Golf Course at Grand Valley State University.

“The girls had to battle some severe weather Saturday but were able to grind through it and bring in some great scores. I’m so proud of their positive attitudes and determination the entire tournament. I have so many memories with these girls over the past four years, and I’m very thankful they were able to end their high school golfing experience together, as a team, at the state finals,” said Coach Biehl.

Although the team went into the tournament not even ranked, their main goal was to place in the top ten, and did this by placing eighth. This two-day tournament was an awesome experience for the girls. On the first day, the team overall shot a 394. Olivia Anderson and Starr Hansen led the team with 97’s and Modestie Hitchcock followed with a 99. Allison Taipalus shot a 101. At the end of day one, the girls were in 11th place out of 18 and they did not settle for this.

On day two, the weather conditions were brutal. The day started off with blue skies, and it seemed as if it was a perfect day for some golf. However, approximately an hour into playing, the radar turned into a disaster. There was 30 mile per hour winds, hail, temperatures of 31 degrees, and it rained for the remainder of the day. However, the girls didn’t let this get into their heads. Overall, they shot a 399, with Olivia Anderson leading the pack again by shooting a 98, and Modestie Hitchcock closely followed with another 99. Hansen and Taipalus both shot a 101, while Beeson shot a 105. These scores helped the team advance three placements and let them finish eighth in the state.

According to Anderson, “The State Finals was honestly one of the best weekends we have had as a team. Our scores were good and super consistent. I am super proud of what our team has accomplished this year. It was a super great and fun experience, and I’m happy we had such a great last weekend with this team.”