St. Louis Students Compete at State Track Meet

The+four+students+who+competed+at+the+state+track+meet+pose+together+

The four students who competed at the state track meet pose together

Natalie Lemert, Staff Writer

Four students from the Saint Louis High School track team competed Saturday, June 3, 2023, at Kent City High School for the 2023 Michigan High School Athletic Association Division 3 track state finals. 

Competitors were Jaiden Dickman, Natalee Hoyt, Ben March, and Landon Pestrue. Dickman ran the 1600-meter run and the 3200-meter run. Hoyt competed in pole vault. March and Pestrue both ran the 3200-meter run. 

Dickman took 14th in the 1600-meter run with a time of 5:32.89. Dickman also placed 23rd  in the 3200-meter run in a time of 12:41.10. Hoyt had a very impressive day, setting the school record with a vault of 10’3 and taking third place overall. March placed 14th in the 3200-meter run with  a time of 10:18.96. Pestrue placed 21st with the 3200-meter run in a time of 11:01.82. 

Overall, everyone performed to the best of their abilities and showed off all the hard work they put in throughout the season. Unfortunately, it was hot, which was a struggle for the athletes on the track. 

Dickman expressed, “I didn’t get the results I wanted but it was a good experience to run against some of the fastest people in the state. I appreciated all of my teammates and family who came to support me. I look forward to future training this summer to prepare for the upcoming cross-country season.”

Hoyt shared, “It was super hot, so it was important to stay hydrated and focus on the controllable. Once I stopped focusing on things out of my control, I performed better.”

March stated, “It was a great day till around lap one when I realized I wasn’t doing well. The next seven laps weren’t any better. When I was done, I was seeing stars. After that, I napped and cried.”