Natalee Hoyt Breaks Record for Pole Vault for Second Time

Autumn Mann

Junior Natalee Hoyt breaks yet another record as she vaults over the pole.

Natalie Lemert, Staff Writer

Junior Natalee Hoyt broke the St. Louis High School record for pole vault Tuesday, May 30, 2023. 

Hoyt tied the record her freshman year, broke it sophomore year, and just broke it again in her junior year. The previous record, which was held by Hoyt, was 9’7.25”. Not only is Hoyt a beast when it comes to pole vault, she also runs the 100 meter dash, 4×100 meter relay, 4×200 meter relay, and 4×400 meter relay. Hoyt is a valuable asset to the Saint Louis track and field teams. 

Hoyt has worked hard throughout her time at SLHS to excel on the runway. Hoyt shared, “I have been staying after practice to get extra time vaulting. I have also been going to Grand Rapids a few times a week to work with a college pole vault coach, which has helped a lot and helped me stay consistent in my training although I got a groin injury mid-season.”

Hoyt felt many emotions after breaking her record. She expressed, “First, I was grateful to have the chance to compete. I felt as if it was a weight lifted off my shoulders to have finally PR’d, and it showed me and everyone else that hard work pays off.”

Hoyt is already looking at the future and setting goals for next season. The junior shared, “I have a few goals for senior year. First to get the conference record, which is 10 feet. That’s my current PR, but I have to do it at a conference meet. I also want to get a track scholarship. Lastly, I want to be consistent in practice and stay healthy.”

Fellow track athlete, junior Kylie Acker, expressed, “I am super proud of Nat. She has for sure put in the extra work and it was cool to see it pay off. I hope she does great at states on Saturday and next season.”