Varsity Softball Takes Win Against Standish

Autu

Sophomore Morgan Leonard stands at bat, ready to stand against Standish

Natalie Lemert, Staff Writer

Saint Louis Varsity softball played the number seven in the state Standish Sterling at home Wednesday, May 10, and came away with two victories.  

Saint Louis won both games against the seventh ranked Standish Sterling team. Miranda Strong, Morgan Leonard, Brynn Saxton, and Monika Borie played great defense to make sure the team won. Phoenix Shaw ended the first game with a walk-off single driving in Kuhn, which

helped get the team excited for the next game. 

Senior Payton Kuhn pitched for the first game, taking the six to four win. Big hitters in the first game were Kuhn two to four, Borie was also two for four, Shaw was three for four with two RBI, Strong was one for two, and Brynn Saxton hit two for three with three RBI. 

In game two, Izabell Hrabal had ten strikeouts leading the team to a three to two win. Big hitters in game two were Kuhn, Borie (triple and scored on an error), Shaw, and Saxton who were all 1 for three, while Hrabal was two for three with two RBIs and a homerun. 

Senior Payton Kuhn expressed, “I am extremely proud of those two wins. Those were probably the best two games in a row we have put together all season. It was definitely a tough win. Both games came down to the seventh inning so they were very intense games. The first game even came down to the last out and thankfully Phoenix Shaw walked it off for us. I think we really stepped our defense up during those games. Everyone on the team did their job on the field and did the little things to keep us in each game. When we were losing, everyone worked hard to make up the runs. There is always stuff to improve on, but overall I would say just making sure we keep focusing on doing the little things right like not making errors in the field and making the most out of each at bat.”

Natalee Hoyt shared, “I am proud of the girls for coming away with two big wins. It was a tough couple games and they did a good job.”