SLHS Varsity Softball secured its’ spot at the top of the conference!

Autumn Mann

Izabelle Hrabal pitched game one against Valley Lutheran and helped the Sharks secure the top spot in the league.

Autumn Mann, Staff Editor

There’s been some recent great news in the Shark Tank! Girls Varsity softball were blowing their opponents away Friday, May 5, and Saturday, May, and secured their spot at the top of the conference after taking two from Valley Lutheran. 

The girls did an amazing job holding their position and making remarkable plays! Hrabal led her team to a 7-1 win in game one striking out 13! However, she couldn’t do it alone. Payton Kuhn went 2-2 and scored twice. Hrabal also had two runs batted in(RBI) and one home run, while Tekoha Henry was 2-3. Phoenix Shaw went 1-3 with two RBI, and Morgan Leonard was 1-3 with two RBI! Henry expressed, “We played really good as a team on Saturday and Friday. We could’ve always played better, but we were hitting really good.” 

In the second game, the Sharks had a great lead with seven strikeouts, ending the game with a win of 12-3. Kuhn went 3-3, Hrabal 3-4, Brynn Saxton 2-3, Miranda Strong 3-5 with four RBI, and Halle Hoyt was 1-2! Kuhn explained, “I am really sad to say this is my last year of softball. I have been playing my whole life so when it’s done I know I will miss it, but that is why I want to go into coaching. When I found out we won a league title I was beyond excited. Our team has worked so hard and it feels great to finally see that the hard work is paying off.”

Moving on to Saturday’s games, the Lady Sharks came in hot, ending the day 3-0 in Coleman! Miranda Strong pitched a no-hitter with eight strikeouts for 15-1 win over Lake City! 

Another amazing player was Kuhn, securing game one with the win of 11-4 with 12 strikeouts over Kingston! Along the side of Kuhn was Hrabal, who pitched game three for a 12-2 win with ten strikeouts against Coleman. Hrabal expressed, “Something we need to improve on is not hanging our heads on a play that we messed up or having our at-bats not going our way. We’ve definitely improved, but I think there is always room for improvement. The team also knows that if we want to win games, we have to do the little things in the game, such as routine plays and communication.”

A few highlighted players from the weekend were Kuhn who was 7-11 with three RBI, Monkia Borie 3-8, Shaw 5-10 and 8 RBI, Hrabal 7-11 and three RBI. Strong went 3-10 with three RBI, Hoyt 5-9, Henry 4-9, Saxton 5-11 and five RBI, and finally Leonard 2-7 and two RBI. Hrabal added, “This team is very special to me, we are a solid team and I’m very lucky to play with these great girls! We are finally putting the game together and it’s finally showing, and I couldn’t be happier. It’s a crazy feeling that it’s my last year playing for SLHS, but I’m glad I get to spend my last year with these girls and coaches, I wouldn’t want it any other way!” 

The varsity Sharks will be back in action Wednesday, May 10th, against Standish Sterling Central High School. This game will be hosted at home!