Business Professionals of America Students Compete at the National Leadership Conference

St. Louis BPA members enjoy Disneyland during their time at Nationals.

Jaiden Dickman, Writer

Recently, six St. Louis students traveled to Anaheim, California, to compete in the Business Professionals of America National competition. Laney Pestrue competed in Administrative Support Research Project and she placed in the top ten in her event. Curtis Brashaw competed in Human Resource Management, while Jaiden Dickman, Lucee Mikek, and Dominick Girard competed in Presentation Management. 

Pestrue placed within the top 10 of the Administrative Support Research Project after advancing from the semi-finals to the finals. She competed Friday morning and then again Saturday morning after nervously awaiting results late into Friday night. 

The students did not just compete in events all week, they also got to enjoy many of the surrounding parts of the Anaheim area. The first day they spent the day at Disney Land and California Adventure. Then they traveled to Newport Beach and got to spend the day shopping and swimming. The group of students also got to experience Hollywood and the Santa Monica Pier.

Pestrue said, “The most valuable part of this experience was learning that everything isn’t like what is in the movies. For example, Hollywood is disgusting. My favorite part of the trip was going to Newport Beach and getting ice cream and donuts.” 

Curtis Brashaw said,“My most valuable experience was trying new foods such as some of the best Italian food I have ever had, as well as eating at Bubba Gump’s Shrimp Company and spending time with my friends at all of these restaurants.” 

Jenna Abell said, “My favorite part about going to California was getting to go to Disney with my classmates and riding rides and seeing their reactions. The most valuable part was being able to see high schoolers from all across the nation working to achieve their goals.” 

All of the students competed well and the returning members of BPA are looking forward to trying to make it to Chicago, Illinois, for next year’s national competition.