SLHS NHS inducts eight new members

The new inductees sit together as they’re honored to join the society.

Natalie Lemert, Writer

Saint Louis National Honors Society inducted eight new members in the High School Media Center April 18, 2023, at 6:30 p.m. 

Bethany Bowerman, Hannah Brandon, Abrielle Dice, Colin Kuhn, Landon Pestrue, Kaya Munoz, Natalee Hoyt, and Elizabeth Starry were inducted into NHS. President Laney Pestrue got up and gave opening remarks. Other officers including Payton Kuhn, Eddie Memije-Ramirez, and Curtis Brashaw also talked about the four pillars of NHS. After the pillars were discussed, all the new members were inducted. When inducted, new members receive a stole and sign a paper. Mr. Brock then got up to give closing remarks. Cupcakes and punch were provided for all in attendance. Many pictures were taken throughout the night.

National Honors Society is a huge honor for Saint Louis students. While in NHS, students must meet service requirement hours and volunteer for various service projects such as blood drives and adopt-a-highway. Students receive letters in the middle of their sophomore and junior year. If they are a candidate to join NHS, they then must fill out an application and be approved by that year’s board before they are allowed to become members. 

Sophomore and new inductee Elizabeth Starry shared, “The ceremony was interesting, and I can’t wait to see what kind of opportunities NHS will open up for me.”

NHS member Rowan Harris expressed, “It was nice to not be the one getting inducted. It was a lot of stress last year. The refreshments were good and the highlight of my night.”

Senior and society president Laney Pestrue said “I thought the NHS ceremony went well and the cupcakes were great. I’m sad that my time in NHS is over. I enjoyed my time in the program and hope the program will continue to do well.”