Volleyball wins league title; First in five years

Tina Sherwood

Head coach Jennifer Jaeck (center) delivers advice during a timeout Wednesday night at the Shark Tank.

Lily Hindenlang, Staff Writer

St. Louis varsity volleyball defeated Saginaw Valley Lutheran Wednesday, Oct. 17, at home and won for the first time in five years and took the win for the conference championship for the first time in five years. The Sharks started off the night with a great first set, which they won 25-19. The second set the Sharks lost, 24-26. The third set the Sharks pounded down with a score of 25-16, and on the final set, the Sharks won with a tight score of 25-23.

Senior captain Megan Greenup stated, “Finally winning the conference feels amazing. I’ve been striving to win this title since freshman year and to finally win feels like all my hard work over the years has paid off. I don’t think there was one person who really stood out because we all played really well.”

Megan Greenup had an outstanding night with 9 kills, 35 assists, and 23 digs. Tara Goodell ended the night with 14 kills and Madeline Greenup ended with 26 digs. Both Allyssa Roberson and Aubrey Sherwood gained 8 kills. Finally, senior Rylyn Hrabal chipped in with and outstanding 7 kills and 22 digs. The Sharks had 106 digs on the night which ties a single match record.

Valley Lutheran is now 4-2 in the TVC West and St. Louis is now 6-0. All in all, the Sharks really came forward and put all of their effort into winning against Valley. They play again at home Saturday Oct. 20, at the Spirit of St. Louis Invitational.