SLHS Guys and Girls Track starts the season at SVSU

Tammy Dickman

Track Veterans Dylan Marr, Natalie Lemert, Jaiden Dickman, and Ben March return to the track.

Natalie Lemert, Writer

Saint Louis High School Varsity guys and girls had their first competition at the Saginaw Valley State University Invite, March 23.

This meet gave the Sharks a good chance to wipe the dust off and get a look at where they are at. It  took place inside SVSU’s very nice facility, where the  track is only 300 meters, which means some of the events are different from what they are outside. They had the 60-meter dash, 4×300, and 4×600. This meet also wasn’t scored, which means that the stress level for the athletes was low, but was nice for newer athletes who haven’t competed before. 

Sadly, a lot of athletes had already left for spring break so the team didn’t bring a lot of athletes to the meet. Athletes competed in many different events and they all did well. Dylan Marr placed first in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:12.35. Ben March took fifth place in the 3200-meter run with a time of 10:32.73. 

Natalee Hoyt won pole vault with a height of nine feet and also placed fifth in the

60-meter dash with a time of 8.53. Hallee Hoyt tied for fourth place for pole vault with a height of seven feet. Lilly Spencer took eighth place in shot put with a throw of 29-02. Natalie Lemert placed third in the 3200-meter run with a time of 12:54.14 and eighth in the 1600-meter run with a time of 6:11.51.  Jaiden Dickman took second in the 1600-meter run with a time of 5:33.33 and fourth in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:31.12. 

March shared, “It was a great rust buster for the team. It gave everyone a good look at where they are individually and as a team. We also didn’t have to worry about the weather because it was inside which was nice.”

Dickman added, “I think the meet helped some new track athletes get a feel for how meets work. The relay was fun because it wasn’t  the normal distance we usually run. Overall, I think it went well and I’m proud of everyone.”