To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is a captivating read

Sarah Humphrey

SLHS Student reads “To All the Boys I’ve Loved” in the library.

Sarah Humphrey, Staff Writer

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the first novel in a series of three written by Jenny Han. It is a teen-romance novel, but something unique about it is the fact that it portrays an Asian-American main character, named Lara Jean Covey. Covey has five love letters that she’s written to all of her crushes. Someone then mails each note to its respective subject, including Covey’s sister’s ex-boyfriend, Josh Sanderson. This sends her world crashing down.

To convince Sanderson that she is not in love with him, Covey fakes a relationship with all-star jock Peter Kavinsky. Kavinsky wishes to make his ex-girlfriend jealous, so the two of them set up a plan to fake-date. However, the feelings between them soon become more real than they should.

The novel reached a broader audience when its film adaptation was released to Netflix August 17, 2018. It was an overall success, sending social media into a frenzy for a couple of weeks.

According to Audrey Johnson, “This is one of my favorite books. I have read all three of them in the series. I really enjoy this book because it’s about an Asian-American, which isn’t common. It has a really cute storyline and is very interesting.”

“I haven’t read the book, but I’ve seen the movie. I loved it, especially the character Josh. I thought it was really interesting. I want to read the book someday,” Berenice Franco-Lopez commented.