Mother Mother goes mainstream at SLHS!

McKenzie Reid, Writer

In the world of alternative indie rock, Canadian-based group Mother Mother is a household name. Albums like Touch Up and Eureka are fan-favorites, as well as songs like “Burning Pile” and “Arms Tonite.” The band currently consists of sibling duo Ryan and Molly Guldemond, Ali Siadat, Jasmin Parkin, and Mike Young. The band was previously assisted by guitarist Kenton Lowin, vocalist Debra-Jean Creelman, and bassist Jeremy Page. A handful of students at St. Louis High School happen to really enjoy Mother Mother.

“They honestly make really good music,” says junior Mikayla Haag. “It’s super relatable and it can make my mood so much better,” she adds. Haag says her favorite song by the band is “Hayloft” from their 2008 album, O My Heart. “It’s kind of a popular one, but it sticks out to me because it has a different tone and a deeper meaning,” she explains. She noted, “One of the things I like best about their music is that they can make very different paced music. I have a pretty specific taste when it comes to faster-paced songs, and their pieces fit into my taste pretty well.”

Sophomores Kai Hassel and Sophia Denman both agree that “Burning Pile,” also from O My Heart, is their favorite song. Hassel says Mother Mother is his favorite band, saying he appreciates their musical style overall. Denman, however, has a more specific taste.

“I really like their voices, the lyrics they write, and the passion they put into their songs,” she states.

“My favorite song is “Oh Ana,” says Sophomore Lexie Thayer. The song is from the band’s 2007 album Touch Up. “They sound really different from other bands,” she says.