St. Louis High School Fast Food Fables

McKenzie Reid

Lexie Thayer walking into building son after her shift at McDonald’s.

McKenzie Reid, Writer

Fast food is a very popular job choice for many students at St. Louis High School because it pays a good amount of money and keeps teenaged hands busy. Additionally, it provides necessary work experience for students working to make a career for themselves in the near future. 

Fast food, although it may sound a bit unentertaining to some, has its perks, one of which, according to some students at SLHS, is the timeless tales that come out of their experience while on the clock. While some of them are hilarious, some of them could easily be considered fast food horror stories.

“The lady starts banging on my window,” says senior customer service extraordinaire Simon Carroll. He was dealing with a rather irate customer who claimed she had ordered a few extra sandwiches, although her receipt proved otherwise. “Then there’s knocking at my window and it’s her husband,” Carroll adds. The man was allegedly demanding a refund and flailing his arms around. “[He was] pressing himself against the window and trying to film us,” says Carroll. “When he left, the managers were cracking jokes that we were gonna be FaceBook famous!” Carroll concluded. Although the experience was rather inconvenient, Carroll said the childish behavior of the man-made it quite entertaining. Some could consider this a fast food horror story, but to Carroll, the incident provided lots of laughs for him and his coworkers.

Funny fast food fails don’t only occur in customer service, however. Some hilarious moments experienced by teens at SLHS have occurred away from the window. “One of my new coworkers was told to brew the tea,” begins food service specialist Junior Cristian Waltz. “However, she was using coffee grounds as tea bags!” he retells. With the store not currently busy, Waltz made his way over to his confused coworker to show her how to correctly brew the iced tea. “But then the rush started and we got packed!” he adds. The two teens had to quickly return to their stations to take on the rush hour, completely leaving behind the tea. “[Front counter] called out for tea, but when I go to get some, there’s tea everywhere!” He says. Waltz explains that the switch used to prevent the iced tea from flowing out of the container had been left on, and tea had poured out all over the floor.