SLHS participates in annual penny war

NHS+raised+a+lot+of+pennies+from+the+penny+war+this+year.+

Alianna Elliott-Carrillo

NHS raised a lot of pennies from the penny war this year.

Alianna Elliott-Carrillo, Staff Writer

This year St. Louis High School is holding a Penny War all through the month of April. It is held in advisories, and the money raised from the Penny War will be donated to the Spondylitis Associations of America or “spondylitis.org.” The organization supports people with spondyloarthritis or “SpA.” Spondyloarthritis is a form of arthritis around the spine that causes tremendous pain in one’s back, and there are many different forms/mutations. SpA usually starts out in younger people, then continuously gets worse through age, and there is no cure! 

According to Evelynn Gutierrez, a sophomore at St. Louis High School, she believes that the fundraiser is a great idea. She says, “The idea of supporting organizations that help the people who can’t get help like the SAA, brings me joy.” She continues to say, “I like that the school is making it fun with different rules to have students enjoy the act of giving.” She overall enjoys the idea of a penny war.

According to Paul Robinson, another sophomore, he agrees that it’s a wonderful idea. He says, “I love the challenges we get to have in our advisories even with the COVID-19 guidlines/ restrictions.” Robinson goes on to say, “I enjoy the fact that the school is raising money for a reasonable cause that is quite unknown.” 

So have fun with this challenge and get as many pennies as possible. See www.spondylitis.org for more information on the disease.