What sets Generation Z apart?

Alianna Vera-Carrillo

Gen Z students take a selfie in class.

Alianna Vera-Carrillo, Staff Writer

What is Generation Z? Born in 1996 and after are “Gen Z-ers” and are known as the “Cancel Generation” and the most diverse generation in the world. They’re known to be very educated on world issues including; racism, homophobia, women’s rights, and the importance of mental health. Gen Z is usually very accepting of others’ identities and diversity. 

Generation Z people are and should be comfortable with who they are, even if the other generations are “offended” or feel it’s against their way of life. However, it is the 21st century, and everyone should be accepting of others. 

This generation has been raised on the internet and social media, which means when COVID-19 hit and everything in society moved online, this is where Gen Z was not as fluent, but deeply comfortable.  As the pandemic has dragged on, Gen Z gained the power of the internet to organize, entertain, and stay incorporated in each other’s lives. 

According to Owens Downs, a senior at St. Louis High School, he is proud to be a part of this special generation of students. He says, “These are the people that are going to be advancing the future society.” He adds, “I like to stay away from the drama in this generation.” He believes that everyone should be who he or she wants to be and not be judged. He says, “Gen Z are very young and are going to be the next adults contributing to our economy, so they should be educated.” 

Everything’s changing and people are evolving, much to the changing of Generation Z.