New fine will be issued for students caught with vape products

Curtis Brashaw

Alonna Farkas pretends to use a vape product.

Curtis Brashaw, Staff Writer

In recent years, companies have introduced Electronic Cigarettes (E-Cigarettes) and other ways to deliver nicotine electronically to reduce smoking and help people get off of more damaging tobacco products. However, due to recent trends, many teens are likely to abuse these products. What started as a way to look cool and be trendy can now turn into an addiction. While vaping isn’t as bad as using cigarettes, it still is harmful, especially if it isn’t being used correctly. 

According to Surgengeneral.gov, a website dedicated to spreading public health awareness, “Youth and young adults are also uniquely at risk for long-term, long-lasting effects of exposing their developing brains to nicotine. These risks include nicotine addiction, mood disorders, and permanent lowering of impulse control.” Using E-cigarettes or other forms of electronic nicotine can lead to many developmental issues.

Now, due to the increasing number of students using “vapes,” schools have had to combat this by involving the police. Many schools have implemented a way to contact police to fine students for vaping on school premises if the students are caught. The same fine that applies to adults for smoking on school grounds now applies to students too. This fine can range from $5 to $750, with the addition of the vaping device being confiscated permanently.

The fine is issued directly to the student caught, not the parent or guardian. Freshman Alonna Farkas said, “I think that it isn’t fair to fine kids the same as adults.” While Farkas feels that way, another student who wishes to remain anonymous believes that students who vape in the bathrooms completely deserve a fine. He said, “I think that this fine should completely discourage students from vaping in the bathroom, which would make it very effective in stopping this issue.” The divide in whether the fine is appropriate or not really comes from one’s belief in how big of an issue this is.

Mr. Huff, principal at St. Louis High School, finds the fine to be appropriate. According to him, “This is not a program I am necessarily excited about, but I feel it is the logical and necessary next step in our efforts to curb the use of vapes and other harmful substances in school. While I understand it will not solve 100 percent of the problems, I am hopeful it will deter some students from making poor choices.”