SLHS advanced bio students educate elementary students

Luke+Maxwell

Alexandra Pawlitz

Luke Maxwell works the pond for his advance biology class.

Alexandra Pawlitz, Staff Writer

Mrs. Dubridge’s advanced biology class participated in the annual school woods activity Monday, Sept. 30, 2019. 

According to Ethan Wilson, “I really enjoyed being a part of the experience that was presented to me. I can’t wait to participate in this next year when I’m a senior. I feel like as the day progressed, the kids were enjoying themselves and it made me feel proud to be a part of this.” 

Reyna Rojas added, “The weather was great, and we got to see so many cool animals. We also got to learn about a lot of cool things. I believe the second graders loved it, and I’m sure they really enjoyed playing freeze tag with Ethan Wilson.” 

Mrs Dubridge commented, “I am so excited that we get to help them experience science in a real-life situation. The goal for the school woods is to get young students out into nature and get them excited about learning about nature.”

Carrie Knause’s second graders rotated through stations, which included the nature walk, microhabitats, the pond, scavenger hunt, seed station, camouflage activity, storytelling, tree measuring, and animal skin observation. The second graders found many interesting creatures along the way. Kids look forward to exploring the woods and catching fish in the pond every year when this event comes around. Almost every second grader looks forward to this day, and the high schoolers make sure it’s a memorable event for the kids.