Senioritis strikes SLHS; it’s inevitable

Holli Rivard

Senior Megan Greenup chooses sleep over homework every time.

Holli Rivard, Staff Writer

Senioritis- Not that I would have any clue (considering my 124 absences), but it is a very real thing. According to Urban Dictionary, senioritis is a “crippling disease that strikes high school seniors. Symptoms include: laziness, an over-excessive wearing of sweat pants, old T-shirts, athletic shorts, and sweatshirts. It also features a lack of studying, repeated absences, and a generally dismissive attitude. The only known cure is a phenomenon known as graduation.”

For some people, the process starts towards the end of their senior year when everything starts winding down and they want to put less effort in, and for other people- well, it starts freshman year and progressively gets worse.

Senior Reese Holton says, “I definitely think senioritis is a real thing. I think it is a self-motivating thing, where seniors feel like they’re almost done so they just stop pushing themselves to their fullest potential. I feel like the way people get through it is simply to force themselves to be present, that way they can actually graduate in the end.”

Some people may not experience this awful thing called senioritis, and they can push through all four years of high school and stay motivated.

Many people who believe they have senioritis often wonder how they are going to make it through college, as it is much harder and challenging than high school. I believe that if people are paying for their education, they are more likely to push themselves and stay motivated.

According to senior Carly Daniels, “I think most people get senioritis. I’m not sure if there is anything we can do to get around it. Seniors just need to stay motivated and keep pushing towards graduation.”

Senioritis comes up and surprises people all the time and the next thing you know, you have 124 absences, your grades are slacking, and you are completely checked out waiting for graduation.