SLHS FFA wins big at the District Leadership Development Event

Katie Allen

The St. Louis FFA team has a discussion.

Sarah Humphrey, Staff Writer

St. Louis High School’s FFA chapter competed in their District Leadership Development Event (LDE) at Alma High School Monday, Feb. 4. The SLHS group consisted of 17 people competing in four different events. Sixteen of them will move on to regionals.

According to Mr. Bernia, the FFA leader, “I am extremely proud of their hard work and commitment to the FFA. I am excited to see them participate in regionals.”

The events that took place include Prepared Public Speaking, Greenhand Conduct of Meetings, Parliamentary Procedure, and Demonstration. St. Louis students took home four gold awards here.

In Prepared Public Speaking, students give a speech between six and eight minutes about an agricultural topic. Greenhand Conduct of Meetings is for freshmen and sophomores; members run an official FFA meeting with opening and closing ceremonies. Parliamentary Procedure is a junior and senior event consisting of running a meeting. Lastly, demonstration is a team that showcases a task, like milking a cow.

“I was on the Parliamentary Procedure team, and we placed first with gold,” Kacie Allen commented. “I think we did really well for being a fairly new team and not seeing each other for a week. It was so much fun, and I’m so excited to advance to regionals.”

The FFA regional convention will take place Thursday, Feb. 14.