School or hospital? All the injuries at SLHS

Sarah Humphrey

Mackenzie Allbee travels through the hallway using crutches.

Sarah Humphrey, Staff Writer

‘Tis the season . . . for injuries? At St. Louis High School, many of the students are suddenly getting hurt all at once. What could possibly be the reason for so many injuries?

One student who is currently down for the count is Avante Taylor. He has a broken foot and uses a scooter to get around. He sustained this injury during a football game. While he did have surgery, his foot still needs time to heal. In total, Taylor will be out for four and a half months.

Keegan Honig is also afflicted with an injury. Honig requires a wheelchair to move around. He uses crutches as well. “I broke the growth plate on my hip, and it rotated about 90 degrees, and then it healed that way. We think that it started breaking at least a year ago, so I played basketball, baseball, and ran cross country before I finally got an x-ray that showed my hip had broke.” Honig has already had surgery so that his hip bone could be straightened out, but he’ll have to have another one in six months to remove the plate used to straighten the bone.

In addition to her two fellow peers, Mackenzie Allbee has a broken ankle. She became injured during wrestling practice and now has to use crutches. “I’m not sure if I need surgery, so I could be out for around six weeks,” Allbee commented.